Nature Play Camp 2023
June 19 @ 9:00 am - June 23 @ 4:00 pm$275 – $350
June 19-23 for ages 6-8 | June 26-30 for ages 8-11
Let’s go where curiosity leads! Land Trust of North Alabama‘s Nature Play Camp seeks to hone children’s innate curiosity in nature and allow them the freedom to explore. Topics for this week-long day camp at Monte Sano Nature Preserve will include water critters, fossils, being nature detectives, map reading, animal adaptations, tracks, scat, the magic of trees, and more! Along with our exploration, we’ll include puzzles, crafts, games, and lots of splashing in Fagan Creek.
Camp Dates and Times:
- June 19-23 for ages 6-8. Drop off is at 9:00AM, and pick up is at 4:00PM
- June 26-30 for ages 8-11. Drop off is at 9:00AM, and pick up is at 4:00PM
Location: Monte Sano Nature Preserve
- Week #1 (Ages 6-8) – Drop-off & Pick-up at Monte Sano Nature Preserve (Bankhead Trailhead) – 2442 Bankhead Pkwy NE, Huntsville, AL 35801
- Week #2 (Ages 8-11) – Drop-off at Monte Sano Nature Preserve (Bankhead Trailhead) – 2442 Bankhead Pkwy NE, Huntsville, AL 35801 / Pick-up at Monte Sano Nature Preserve (Cleermont Trailhead) – 506 Cleermont Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35801
Cost: (Meals not provided)
- $275 for Land Trust members at the Trailblazer Level ($50) or above only
- $350 for Non-members
Age Groups: Parents of 8 year olds can choose which group is best for their child but a child can only attend one week of camp. Activities will be adapted appropriately for each age group. The second week will include hiking longer distances.
The Daily Routine: As we said above, Land Trust of North Alabama’s Nature Play Camp is designed to allow our campers the opportunity and freedom to spend time exploring nature, playing with others, and just being a kid in the woods. There is a structure – group hikes, lunch, quiet time, and a few group activities – but much of the time will be spent with a variety of options. Last year’s campers spent the week building forts, exploring the creek, collecting nature treasures for the display table, and reading or drawing quietly in the shade. Our staff of four adults and two teen volunteers will lead and supervise some activities, of course, but a good part of the day will involve choice. It’s a week of being a kid!
A Few Other Details:
- The registration deadline is June 12, though late registrations may be allowed with prior notice.
- Each camp will host a maximum of 20 campers.
- We hope to have a limited number of scholarships available. Please contact Tim Gels for more information.
- Questions? Contact Tim Gels, Education Director, at email@example.com.