The Land Trust offers more than 70 miles of free public trails for you to relax, get some exercise, and connect with nature. Eight Public Preserves in Madison County are open dawn to dusk daily for hiking, biking, and outdoor recreation. Select a nature preserve from the Locations list to download a trail map and find additional information for each property.
***COVID-19 Update: Please review our updated trail rules before your next visit.
- Trail Rules & Tips: Take a look at our trail rules and hiking tips to stay safe and provide a positive outdoor experience for everyone. Find information about permitted activities for each property.
- Report a Problem: See a problem on the trails? Let us know so we can improve trail conditions! Submit your report here.
- Guided Hikes & Adventures: Want to explore nature with us? Check out our schedule of upcoming Hikes & Adventures – these free public education programs are available for adults and children.
- We do not offer public camping sites. However, scouts and civic organizations may reserve Matthews Nature Preserve in Limestone County (a conservation property and not open to the public) for overnight primitive camping. Call 256-534-5263 for details.
- Reserve a Pavilion: The Land Trust offers outdoor pavilions at Monte Sano, Harvest Square, and Chapman Mountain Nature Preserves. Submit our Pavilion Rental Request to reserve this space for a small gathering.
Want an easy way to access our trail maps while on out on the trail?
Land Trust members receive access to our FREE Trail Map App!
Need family-friendly activities to keep everyone entertained while social distancing? Check out our list of outdoor family fun ideas!