Blevins Gap Nature Preserve is a 994 acre natural oasis in South Huntsville minutes from residential and commercial hot spots. The preserve is divided into two sections with trails to the north and south of Cecil Ashburn Drive. The main Blevins Gap Trailhead provides access to around 8 miles of woodland hiking trails on the 727 acre portion south of Cecil Ashburn and features Huntsville’s best spot to enjoy spectacular valley views. Primary access for the 267 acres north of Cecil Ashburn is Fanning Trailhead (located behind Southeast Church of the Nazarene). This portion of the preserve features a rocky incline with wet-weather waterfalls and approximately 4.5 miles of trails. Trails are free and open dawn to dusk daily.
Please respect our trailhead neighbors and do not block driveways or leave trash behind. Trails and Trailhead entrances open dawn to dusk.
To access trails South of Cecil Ashburn:
- ***CLOSED*** Blevins Gap – 3470 Cecil Ashburn Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35802
NOTE: This trailhead will remain closed due to road work until around May 2020. However, there are additional access points for this preserve listed below. Find details about the Cecil Ashburn roadwork project here. There are also trail closures around this trailhead (listed below). For your safety, please pay attention to signage and do not hike in closed areas.
- Valley Bend – From Bailey Cove Road, take Willowbrook Drive to Smoke Rise Road SE and turn right. Proceed .3 miles to Valley Bend Drive SE on the left. The trail is at the end of Valley Bend Drive road stub.
- Sugar Tree Place – From Bailey Cove Road take Weatherly Road SE to Sugar Tree Trail SE and turn left. Immediately turn right onto Sugar Tree Place. At the end of the road is the trail entrance.
To access trails North of Cecil Ashburn:
- Fanning – 2275 Cecil Ashburn Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35802 – Off Bailey Cove Rd. turn onto Cecil Ashburn Dr. and proceed .4 miles to the entrance of the Southeast Church of the Nazarene (2275 Cecil Ashburn Dr.) The trail entrance is located in the north east corner of the parking lot behind the church.
NOTE: There is no trailhead parking at Fanning Trailhead available Wednesday evenings after 6pm or Sundays before noon. Trailhead may be closed occasionally for church events.
- Walsingham – From Cecil Ashburn Drive, at the first traffic signal, turn left onto Donegal Drive SE. Proceed .4 miles to Walsingham Road SE and turn left. The trail entrance is located at the end of the road.
***Notice: Trail & Trailhead Closures***
During the road construction project, there will be select trail closures for the safety of hikers. These closures are due to proximity to the blasting area. For your safety, please pay attention to signage and do not hike into closed areas. Five minutes prior to blasting a series of 5 long sirens will sound. If you hear this signal, please use caution and avoid areas near the construction zone. Blevins Gap Traihead will remain closed throughout the construction project.
Current Closures: (indicated with a red outline on the map below)
- Certain Trail from the parking lot to the Sugar Tree intersection.
- Smokerise Trail from the parking lot to the Lowry intersection.
- Fanning Trail at the very top of the trail